Skip to main content

Inheritance tax waiver form -- is it required when I transfer ownership of a late parent's stock shares to his estate?

Santa Clara, CA |

I am executor of my father's estate. I want to transfer ownership of some stock to his estate. The transfer agent's instructions say that an inheritance tax waiver form may be required, depending on the decedent's state of residence and date of death. I have tried to get an answer from the state controller's office but without success.

My father lived in here in California and died in December 2009.

Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You should contact the transfer agent for the exact requirements. That said, California does not appear to have a waiver requirement.


There is no inheritance tax in California so this form should not be required.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.