Indecent exposure while intoxicated. First time offense. No other record. What steps to avoid jail and public record registry?

Ocean City, MD |

Happened at 2:00 am on boardwalk while extremely intoxicated. Seen by 6 individuals including a minor. DA will not settle for community service. What are the other options?

Best Answer

This is a tough one in Ocean City--the judge there is very harsh. You may have to end up taking a plea, hope you get Probation Before Judgment (allows you to expunge after 3 years). If not, you will likely end up appealing to the Circuit Court, where they will care a lot less about this charge.

Nothing posted on Avvo or in response to an Avvo question or request is intended to be considered legal advice. For actual legal advice, please call Mr. Cleckner at 301-789-1616 or email at jay@mdnotguilty.com. He will provide a FREE in-depth consultation where your entire situation can be evaluated.

Hire a lawyer and take the matter to trial or try to see if the judge will give you an indicated sentence on an open plea.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Thank you for your reply. Since I was incoherent and unaware of my surroundings, would a No Criminal Intent be an effective approach during the initial court hearing?

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis

No. That's a trial defense. At your initial appearance you'll likely only be asked to plead guilty or not guilty

Jail seems unlikely, given first offense. Probation is an option.

You should contact an attorney. If you cannot afford a private attorney, contact the public defender. An attorney can help make sure that you achieve the best possible result. You do not want something like this on your record for future employers to see.

Office: 410-821-2910; e-mail: sscherr@fslawoffice.com. This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is not established with me until a retainer agreement is signed and/or a retainer or fee is paid. If you wish to schedule a consultation, you may contact me at 410-821-2910 or e-mail me at sscherr@fslawoffice.com. No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.

No one can guarantee the outcome in advance. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.