Skip to main content

Inadvertently charged with a failure to register as a sex.offender in NY

New York, NY |

Hello, I was arrested recently for beating the fare in NY's mta. The officer asked me where I was going & I told him to visit my Mom in Queens. I gave him the address & next thing I know, I am charged with a failure to register as a sex offender in NY. I was not even aware of the charge until I got to central booking. I reside and am registered in NJ and have the paperwork and a NJ driver license to support it. Why would the police officer flagrantly misrepresent the facts like that and what must I do now to get rid of this charge? Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you have proof that your only residence is the one on file then there should be no problem. It would be impossible to guess why the arresting officer went forward with the charges listed. Your lawyer shod provide with a list if the information necessary to best defend your case.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


You need to hire an attorney.


You need an attorney to fight this. There may have been a warrant on this issue if it is a problem in NJ.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer