Skip to main content

In Wisconsin does the court automatically notify a person who's paying maintenance that their ex-spouse is getting remarried?

Hartland, WI |

The final divorce decrees stipulates payments stop with remarriage. Am I supposed to notify my ex-wife if possible?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


no, the court will not notice you. If you are paying maintenance, you don't get to stop if you remarry.


Just to make sure I understand you are paying maintenance, and your ex-spouse is getting remarried.
If that is correct...
The court will not know she is getting remarried. That is handled by the County Clerk, and not the clerk of courts. So, they will not know.
The payer will have to file a motion to stop the payments. The form is FA-4170. You will have to file four copies, serve the payer's spouse and the child support folks.
The rest is easy. But you do have to wait until she is actually married. Otherwise she may back out.
You can get a copy of the marriage license from the County Clerk.

WALWORTH, ROCK and JEFFERSON County Divorce/Family Law Attorney - Atty Richard Missimer does answer questions on Avvo strictly to be helpful but these do not constitute legal advice. These answers do not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you would like my help and are within my practice area, contact me at (262)565-8200 for a FREE CONSULTATION.


I agree with Richard, he is spot on.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer