Skip to main content

In Virginia, can the government of any state take your only home for back child support?

Martinsville, VA |

I live in Virginia and still owe some back child support in Florida. My mother wants to by me a house, if she does this and the house is in my name, can Florida take the house to pay off what I still owe? Could I put the house in both mine and my wife's name to prevent this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


A fraudulent transfer of assets in order to avoid child support arrears could get you even in more trouble.

Yes, judgments from other states can he enforced in Virginia.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.



A fraudulent transfer? No, She simply wants to buy me a house.


The Department of Child Support Enforcement can put a lien on a home and I agree with the previous attorney. I think the best course of action would be to have your mother give you a loan to pay the child support arrears off. Then you would no longer have to worry about issues such as this one.

This is not legal advice, this is a general response that is only intended to be an analysis of the question and facts you have presented. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship, I am not your attorney. You must hire me and we must agree in writing to the representation to form an attorney-client relationship. I am only licensed to practice law in Virginia.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer