Skip to main content

In the state of Texas, what is the legal age to move out of your parents' house, without their consent??

Lubbock, TX |

I live in Lubbock, Texas. I turn 17 in two weeks and I want to move when I turn 17. I have already graduated from high school and I will be starting college in the fall. Also, the place I'm planning on moving to is closer to the college I'm going to and more convenient for me since we still don't know how I would get there. If I move I will have a way to get there. With that being said, can I move out at age 17 without my parents' consent, and without the cops getting involved?? What will happen to me if I leave when I'm 17 and my parents call the police?? Can the people I'm moving with get in trouble??

I really don't want to be reported as a run away. I keep hearing you can move at 17, but some people say 18. So I really need to know all help will be greatly appreciated thank you!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You cannot move out of your parents' home without their permission until you are 18 years old. If you move without their consent, they can have the cops pick you up as a runaway. Anyway who gives you a place to stay knowing you are a runaway can be charged with harboring a runaway. Why don't you just talk it over with your parents. You are essentially an adult and have demonstrated great responsibility.

Although I have answered the question to try to help you, you should consult with a lawyer in your area in person on the matter. In addition, my answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us.


18. Unless you can prove to a court you should be granted emancipation (freedom) earlier by proving you hold a job and can pay all bills including rent, food, gas, etc.

If the cops are involved, you are going to have to follow your parents' direction, and depending on the actions taken by the people you are living with, they could also get in trouble.

This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming the attorney client relationship. This attorney is licensed in Texas.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer