Skip to main content

In the state of Connecticut can I request alimony to be modified or terminated if my ex wife is living with someone else

New Britain, CT |

I am paying 1600 dollars a month to ex-wife. She is now living with a boyfriend, can I ask for the alimony to be terminated because she is living with someone

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The first place to look is your final divorce decree. There may be language in it that impacts whether or not your alimony is impacted. If the final order is silent, CGS 46b-86 provides that a court has the discretion to modify an alimony award and suspend, reduce or terminate the payment of periodic alimony upon a showing that the recipient is living with another person under circumstances which the court finds should result in the modification, suspension, reduction or termination of alimony because the living arrangements cause such a change of circumstances as to alter the financial needs of that party. Basically, the court has the discretion to consider modifying your alimony based on the fact she is living with her boyfriend. You will have to go to court to modify the order.

Give me a call if you wish to discuss this further. (860) 242-2221

Brian S. Karpe, Esq. (860) 242-2221 Note: This response DOES NOT constitute legal advice and therefore no specific action should be taken in reliance thereon. No attorney-client relationship is created through this response. You should speak to an licensed attorney in your state who is competent to answer your question before taking any action with regard to this question.