In the accounting of my uncles estate it shows proceeds of $20.00 from a life insurance policy. How on earth can you have a ...

San Francisco, CA |

...$20.00 life insurance policy? Where did the rest of the proceeds of the life insurance policy go?!?

You do not state whether or not you inherit any part of your uncle's estate, nor if the estate is still open. If you are to receive an inheritance and the estate is still open, you may have a right to contest the accounting. Contact a local probate lawyer to find out what your rights are. At the very least, you can ask if $20.00 was the actual amount of the life insurance proceeds and, if not, ask for an explanation of how the rest of the proceeds were spent.

What if I was a contingency beneficiary yet got nothing & every other person that was a benficiary is dead & Im the very last surviving family member?

Tonya Rene Coles

Tonya Rene Coles

It could be that the policy was used to pay your uncle's funeral expenses or estate administration expenses. Or, there could be other beneficiaries. Really, it is impossible to answer your question without knowing the specifics of your situation. Contact a probate attorney in your area. An attorney can ask the right questions to help you sort out what happened to the money. I hope that you are able to get the answers you want, and I wish you the best of luck.

No wasnt used to pay her funeral expenses or anything like that..his estate was worth over $6,000,000.00 So if I'm the very last of the bloodline & the contingent beneficiary of the residuary, can I get the accounting? Also can a not adopted ex stepson of my Dad, whats rights does he have? He's also an attorney. My Dad got the residuary of our uncle yet he wasnt around long enough to enjoy ANY of it died having alzheimers disease & the non adopted ex stepson ended up with it. We have uncle on a vcr tape in pure panic of it going to him & with the attorney reassuring him that wouldnt happen over & over & it DID HAPPEN, thats EXACTLY what happend! !! My poor uncle.~ The public administrator said he would look into it & then 2 weeks later i call them back & he basically just blew me off-... So even though soooooo many things in my uncles accounting are looking like fraud & the 2 public administrators who handled his estate (at seperate times).. were BOTH terminated for fraud & Im the OLY living lineal descendant of his left(bloodline)

Does this give me ANY rights to look after the estate now since nobody is or has? Thnx~ ~

If you are an interested party you have the right to certain information. Twenty bucks is a pretty small insurance policy for sure...however older people often have very small insurance policies from years ago and its also possible that it was borrowed against and there was only cash value left so it could be depleted. If you think it should be more you need to ask for documentation. Usually the life insurance is not part of the "estate" so it is also possible you won't be entitled to information but since its on the accounting I assume the life insurance ended up payable to the estate.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/