Skip to main content

In Texas if someone falsify paper work to get food stamps what can happen to that person?

Austin, TX |

My soon to be EX is claiming my kids live with her in one county when they live with me in another.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


They could be prosecuted by the district attorney for tampering with a governmental record, a Class A misdemeanor unless the actor's intent is to defraud or harm another, in which event the offense is a state jail felony.

More here:

Look specifically at section 37.10.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.



So is it fine that I reported this to the Inspector General?

Jonathan Francis Winocour

Jonathan Francis Winocour


I assume you mean the OIG of HHS, and yes, it is fine. You could file a report with the DA for the county where the false paperwork was presented too. If HHS thinks it is serious enough, then it will institute proceedings against the perpetrator of the fraud.


This is food stamp fraud and can be a federal offense.

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.


Hmm, prison, overpayment status (and pay back)... not to mention, if the children are living with you, you can likely file for child support from her with your family court (or possibly your CS agency).

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq., of JoyDisability, is an attorney licensed in New Jersey, but currently practicing federal Social Security Disability law in all 50 states from her PA office. Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, nor do they constitute legal advice. Rather, if you need representation or legal advise, you need to make direct contact yourself, and inquire. We welcome and respond to all phone calls and emails.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer