Skip to main content

In servicing a "Notice to Quit" in Maine, can the witness be a family member?

Dixmont, ME |

I'm a Maine landlord. Maine law states that a Notice to Quit should be given in person with a witness present. However, it doesn't specifically state who the witness should be. Can the witness be a family member and if not, who is an acceptable witness?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It's a bad idea since a family member can be more easily accused of lying about it.


There is no requirement under Maine law that there be a witness present. You should try to serve the tenant the notice (which needs to be prepared properly) in person. If after three good faith attempts to serve them, you can mail the notice and leave a copy at the residence. See the code section -

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer