Skip to main content

In regards to the majority age for immigration purposes why is it 21 and not 18 years old?

Los Angeles, CA |

An American citizen can sponsor relatives after turning 21, why not 18? Also, Can the citizen petition 6 months before he turns 21 if there is a co-sponsor (income related)? Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

That's the way it is. 21 and not 18. Most likely based on the same principle of the drinking age, due to the fact that our founders did not deem 18 years of age (as opposed to 21) to be a mature enough age for drinking hard liquor. The Immigration rules must have followed the same tradition and principles and also raise the bar for sponsoring to 21.

No, the USC CANNOT sponsor 6 months prior. In fact, can only sponsor at the age of 21, AND ONE (1) DAY. (Please don't ask me why..)

Myself and my staff stand ready to assist you with all your immigration needs.



Thanks for your answer Mr. Behar.


Ask your representative in the US House of Representatives and Senate ... they made the law that limits the sponsorship right to 21.

Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel - Capriotti International Law – 503-803-0055
We are not geographically limited ==> Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


Because that is what Congress decided.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


That is what Congress decided.

Payam Yazdani, Esq.
Bloomfield & Kempf, LLP
(614) 592-7827


Ask Congress.

THIS ANSWER IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE, AND DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. Immigration is complicated and the wrong action can have serious consequences. Never take action in your case based solely on general information like is offered here. Speak to an attorney who can give you specific advice about your own situation.


My colleagues are right.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer