Skip to main content

In Pennsylvania, how much notice am I required to give if I want to cancel my lease under the implied warranty of habitability?

Harrisburg, PA |

I sent my landlord a written notice dated 4/20 of serious water leakage in my house (both basement and roof). I sent a second notice dated 5/3. Landlord inspected the unit on 5/5, acknowledged the issue and promised to make repairs None have been made as of today, 5/13. How long is considered "reasonable" to go withoutmajor repairs before vacating?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Generally, whether or not it was proper for you to vacate the property is question of fact to be determined by the court in the event of litigation(either brought by you or by the landlord). It appears that you have taken the right steps by documenting the problem. Therefore, if you can no longer live in this environment, you may consider vacating. However, please give your landlord the opportunity to make right on his agreement by calling him, reminding him of his promise, and documenting the conversation.

For more information, please contact my office:


Remember this: you must first give the LL notice of the defect and a reasonable opportunity to cure the defect (Unless health or safety is an issue)

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer