Skip to main content

In on an 1 student visa at a college , i came here 29 days prior to classes starting and have paid fees i now want to marry

Glendale, CA |

i met a USC in London last year and we spent the week she was in London together , i had already applied and gained the 1 visa before this . i was planning to go to college in august 2012 but differed and came in January 2013 , the USC in question is from taxes and my college is in California . she has decided she wants to move to Cali to be with me as we have kept in contact via face book and Skyler . We have been talking about the option of marrying as we do both love each other , i have paid my fees for the school which mi on an 1 visa too i also plan to pursue my degree . We are worried however that if we do marry that it will look like visa fraud if we marry early and we are not sure what to do , are there chances of it being visa fraud as i didn't have intent to marry when i came here . help !

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

If you wish to marry, you should marry. I would recommend hiring an attorney to guide you through the process.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



will it look as though iv used the f1 visa wronfully and for diffrent purposes other than to go to school?


You can get married at this point but should attend school and apply for a green card a little later down the road. However, once married you should be prepared to not leave the US until you filed for adjustment and obtained a travel document.


You are prudent to be concerned about perceived misuse of the student visa, although it is possible to have a change of plans and intent. Work with an immigration attorney to help prepare the most compelling green card case. Good luck.

(626) 771-1078 Los Angeles Attorney Theodore Huang, Esq. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established. Attorney Huang is licensed in MD; practice limited to federal law.


You are right that there can be the appearance of visa fraud since you met BEFORE you came to the US. However, a competent attorney can prepare your application and supporting documents, as well as prepare you for interview so as to maximize your chances for success.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104