Skip to main content

In Ohio can an employer terminate your employment when you have been off work for an approved medical/personal leave.

West Chester, OH |

My daughter was employed at a company that approved her to be off work from 7/31/12 through 10/22/12 under the Family Medical Leave Act. The company approved a personal leave until 01/01/13 due to complications and then allowed the personal leave to be extended until 02/08/2012 due to the same complications. The company then terminated her on 02/15/2012 by choosing not to extend the personal leave anymore. My daughter requires a 2nd surgery on her foot as the first surgery resulted in a non fusion in her right foot.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There is possibly an FMLA inference claim here but much more specific information is needed. Your daughter should schedule an initial consultation with an employment discrimination lawyer for evaluation.

This post is not meant to: 1) contain my signature; 2) contain legal advice; 3) create an attorney/client relationship; or 4) guarantee confidentiality.


My best recommendation would be for your daughter to speak to an employment attorney. Disability discrimination and retaliation for filing for FMLA are both unlawful. If your daughter can perform the essential functions of her job, with or without reasonable accommodation, her employer cannot discriminate with her based on her disability status. Time-off is considered a reasonable accommodation; however, the length of time-off considered reasonable is dictated by several factors.

Therefore, your daughter should speak to an employment attorney who can go over all the facts of her case in specific detail and inform her of what, if any, legal recourse she may have. My office is located in Centerville, Ohio, and I would be happy to meet with her, if she would like to call and set-up a consultation.

Lori A. Strobl
Strobl & Associates, Co. LPA
1015 E. Centerville Station Rd.
Centerville, Ohio 45459
(937) 496-1450

This website contains general information only. The information contained in this website is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice on any subject matter or intended as advertising or a solicitation. Readers should not rely on the information presented on this website for any purpose without seeking legal advice on the specific facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney in the reader’s state. The information in this website contains general information which is intended, but cannot be guaranteed, to be always up-to-date, complete and accurate. Any representation or warranty that might be otherwise implied is expressly disclaimed. Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the information contained in this website. Readers should not consider the information presented on this website to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, and the transmission of such information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, and attorney-client relationship between the reader and Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. The content of any Internet e-mail sent to Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. or to its attorneys at the e-mail addresses set forth in this website will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential. Readers should be aware that communications via the Internet may not be secure. Strobl & Associates Co., L.P.A. does not necessarily endorse, and is not responsible for, any third-party content that may be accessed through this website.


The FMLA requires covered employers to give up to 12 weeks unpaid leave on a rolling year basis to qualifying employees. It appears your daughter exceeded the allowable FMLA leave. A company does not have to hold a position open indefinitely. If she is physically able to work, have her re-apply to the former employer for an open position. If she is qualified, and there is an open position, and they reject her, she may have a failure to hire claim. She also will need to mitigate or lessen her damages by making reasonable efforts to locate a similar job. Also, she should schedule an in-office consultation with an experienced employment attorney to review all possible legal claims and perhaps seek a severance package or company-paid job-seeking assistance or a favorable letter of reference. Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer