Skip to main content

In new jersey is wandering charge a disorderly conduct charge?

Newark, NJ |

was arrested and had a list of charges drug charges but the judge offered me a plea for wandering so i was wondering if wandering with be the final disposition

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Wandering is a disorderly persons offense. No license loss no DEDR fines. But it stays on your record for 5 years before you can expunge and if you are not a citizen it can and has caused problems because of the wording. If you use this statutue and are not a citizen make sure that the wandering was for purchase not sale. Have it specified on the docket sheet. The prosecutor offers the downgrade not the judge. Although Judge Frasca in Essex Remand Court gets involved and reads the downgraded charge. So it appears he is offerring it but it is the prosecutor.


Judge's don't offer charges. Prosecutors have the ability to amend charges. IT is impossible for anyone who was not in the courtroom and part of the discussion to advise you on what the final charges will be. If you are not a US citizen, a wandering charge is a major problem. If you are a US citizen, a wandering charge is a disorderly persons offense with no license suspension or extra drug fine.


You should be represented by an attorney, either a public defender or private attorney who should be able to advise you on your charge(s). Also, the judge didn't offer you a plea, the prosecutor likely offered a plea deal to try and get you to plea guilty to a lesser charge in an effort to move the court calendar. If you're represented by an attorney, ask them for advice on how to proceed. If not, schedule a consultation in person with a criminal defense attorney who can go over the details of your case and advise you on how to proceed from there.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer