Skip to main content

In need of a very good low cost/pro bono criminal appeal attorney fast?

Los Angeles, CA |

My Fiance Has Been wrongfully convicted and has been sentenced to 80 years to life!He has already been given a appeal attorney to write the briefs!Can anyone give us some good advice or help with finding a really good attorney that is willing to work with low cost or pro bono in the state of california!please running out of time....

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you are successful in finding a lawyer that will take the criminal appeal case on a pro bono basis, that lawyer can file to substitute as counsel. Your fiance can hire a lawyer to work with the appointed public defender appeal attorney on the appeal, or replace the appointed attorney if the court agrees. Get moving quickly so that the attorney your fiance wants to represent him gets into the appeal case as soon as possible. Alert the court of this desire and coordinate with the appointed attorney to do so right away.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Ethics: Yes I Need a Lawyer!"

You need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.


It's very hard to get a cheap or free lawyer to do an appeal, and your fiance's court appointed lawyer may be a better bet, as they're very experienced and know what's they're doing. Try legal aid, linked below.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


If you have an appointed lawyer on the appeal you don't need a low cost pro bono lawyer. The state has already provided you one.


In an 80-life case, even if you found an attorney willing to work for minimum wage, it would cost thousands of dollars to read all of the transcripts, do the necessary research and draft the necessary legal documents.

His attorney would be appointed through the California Appellate Project, which contracts with attorneys to handle appeals. They're paid about a hundred dollars an hour for their time.

Why do you think someone else will do a better job for little or no money?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer