Skip to main content

In my divorce papers for alimony.

Flint, MI |

In our divorce papers it states that if my ex cohabitates with a member of the opposite sex that is not a family member alimony is to terminate.My daughter and her boyfriend moved in with her after divorce.Does my daughters boyfriend count as cohabitant under this wording?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Cohabitation in this context refers to someone romantically involved with the person receiving the alimony payments-not platonic roommates.

This comment is designed for general information only, and should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.


No. That is to say, as long as she's not having a romantic relationship with your daughter's boyfriend. The language infers a romantic relationship.

Neil M. Colman

Mr. Colman is licensed to practice law in Michigan. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Colman strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.