Skip to main content

In MA. Mom co-signed a loan for $1000 for her daughters BF. He made 5 payments and stopped. Due to legal troubles.

Southbridge, MA |

She is now covering the payments because she does not want it to effect her AA+ credit rating. How many late payments does she have to cover before she can pay it off in full and take him to small claims court for the balance? He's currently working and promises to pay, but then he doesn't show up for days and never pays. What are our viable options? She can afford to pay off the remaining balance, but wanted to give him a chance to correct his mistake. I just don't see that happening. This next payment will be the 5th she has made for him.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Here is what I would suggest as a possible solution.

Your mother can approach the boyfriend with a proposal to payoff the loan for him - which will help them both - if he will sign a promissory note agreeing to make payments to her with interest, and provide for attorney's fees if he is in breach. The promissory note will be very useful to her if he ever fails to pay her back.

Christopher Vaughn-Martel is a Massachusetts lawyer with the firm of Vaughn-Martel Law in Boston, Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law and the limited facts presented by the questioner. All answers are provided to the general public for educational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question. To schedule a consultation with a lawyer, and obtain advice and review of your specific legal issue, please call us today at 617-357-4898 or visit us at


She can pay it off at any time. At this point, she is being a good mother to her daughter and trying to be supportive obviously, but legally she can pay it off, demand payment from the BF and sue him if he doesn't pay.

Just remember: the fact that you have a legal right or abilty to do something is never, standing alone, a good reason to do it. Remember Solomon and the infant, and always try to work through these issues before choosing the "nuclear" option of litigation, which will likely damage her relationship with her daughter and end her relationship with her daughter's BF.

Good luck!



Thanks to all for your advice. Fortunately, the BF is no longer in the picture. My wife and I, (we got married after all this happened) have made all the payments. She asked me if she should co-sign for him before she actually did it. I said that if you can afford to lose $1000 and you want to help your daughter then ok. Just be prepared that if he doesn't pay, he probably never will. So I can report that my(now) step daughter, is no longer with this person, and hopefully, we can just chalk this up to experience and let it go. Having her no longer with him is worth losing the $1000. It's a small thing in the big picture. Again, thank you ALL for the advice.


Both attorneys have given excellent responses. I like the promissory note idea because you could collect atty fees if you had to sue.

This response is not to be considered legal advice by anyone. This communication, alone, does not create an attorney-client privilege. Unless you have executed a fee agreement with the attorney, that is related to the subject matter contained in this communication, you are advised not to rely on this communication to make any decisions whatsoever or to create an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship shall exist with this attorney without a fee agreement executed by you and the attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer