Skip to main content

In GA if you do not make a court ordered purge payment for child support, how soon is an arrest warrant generated?

Columbus, GA |

My ex spouse was ordered to make a purge payment within 60 days or be incarcerated. They did not make the payment and hasn't made any other payments towards their child support. I was wondering when an arrest warrant would be issued for them and if there will be another hearing.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Generally, if unless the order had what is called "Floyd" language in it, which it probably didn't unless you had an attorney who discussed that with you, a warrant cannot be issued with a compliance hearing. Most likely based on what you posted, the next step is to schedule a compliance hearing and once the judge hears the purge was not paid the judge will issue an order for incarceration.


If you used a lawyer, the order may have appropriate language which is essentially self-executing, so simply call your lawyer. (The proper language and when it can be used is discussed in FLOYD v. FLOYD 247 Ga. 551 277 SE2d 658 (1981).

If you did this pro se, you probably failed to use proper language and will need to request a hearing to determine compliance, delaying the process.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer