In Florida, how long after living unmarried with a boy/girlfriend is considered a common law marriage?

West Palm Beach, FL |

After how many years of living together without being married is a relationship considered to be a common law marriage in Florida? Thank you.-

Best Answer

Florida did allow common-law marriages, up til 1968. After that, a common law marriage could not be created in Florida. When it was, it was not just a matter of living together but also the couple holding themselves out as being married.

After 1968, no common law marriage could be created in Florida. But, as one of my colleagues noted, a common-law marriage created in another state that does allow for it would have to be recognized if the couple were to move to Florida after meeting all the qualifications of that other state.

I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, your clicking "helpful" and/or "best answer" helps my Avvo rating and would be appreciated. This answer shall not be considered rendering legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. Avvo is a wonderful resource but nothing can substitute for an in-depth consultation face-to-face with a lawyer. The response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

There is no such thing as a common law marriage in Florida.

Florida does not recognize common law marriages.

Long ago, Florida abolished common law marriage. However, Florida recognizes a common law marriage which is valid from another jurisdiction.

Sandy T. Fox
Board Certified Marital & Family Attorney

Not in Florida......no common law marriage ever.

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

Common law marriages do not exist in Florida.