IN FLORIDA < Can I be made to pay past age 18 if my Divorce degree says support ends at 18, when child still in school till 19,

Sanford, FL |

My child is turning 18 soon, my divorce degree filed in 2004 states support ends at age 18, My child wont graduate till age 19, Can I be made to pay till then , I know a new law went into effect in 2011 in FL, as to date s givin on support orders as to dates they are to end and when and to whom child the support should end on and to how much support is to drop depending on how many children were in the order at time it was filed, I need to know Am I required by law to pay till age 19 now because of that new law. as My degree says 18 prior to the new law in 2011 , the law is so confusing .could you explain please. My attorney saying if she dont file by his age 18, then when he turns 18 she cant file after that to get child support till he reaches 19 and graduates , is that correct?

Best Answer

Your attorney's advice is correct.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

Listen to your attorney. She clearly knows what she is doing and is protecting you.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272 familylawyer411.com/about-carin https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Law-Offices-of-Carin-M-Constantine/125967577416313 http://www.linkedin.com/pub/carin-constantine/b/861/445

My attorney said if the ex wife doesn't file before his 18 birthday. Then when he files the income deduction order to stop thru my job. After he turns 18. Then she can not file to receive support past age 18 Even if he graduates at age 19. That what I need to know is if my attorney is correct. I feel my attorney caused me to pay more support on 1 child than the state requires I am paying 800.00 a month now. All because she wanted that. Not because I agreed and he said just give her what she wants. I feel I can't trust my attorney. Is why I am asking if he is correct on if she don't file at all then by time he turns 18 as per my degree then when I do file to end deduction She can't get another year of support out of me based on the new law.

Carin Manders Constantine

Carin Manders Constantine

I do not give advice in a Public Forum about the actions and statements of another attorney because it is not proper to judge legal decisions or strategies in such a way. If you want a second opinion, you need to call a local attorney and make an appointment for a consult. If you do not trust your attorney, then you must tell him and hire a new one.

It appears as if you are represented by an attorney. You attorney has all the facts in your case and is in a better position to give you the advice you need. You should listen to your attorney.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.