Skip to main content

In debt due to high credit card interest rates. What are my options in securing a probono atty for help in reducing our debts?

Las Vegas, NV |

Live on SS only, lost my job and unable to find employment.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Go to the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada ( and they'll walk you through the process for applying for a pro-bono attorney.

William Devine, II

I am an attorney, just not your attorney (yet). Any answers here are to be deemed informational unless and until you retain me as your attorney for actual legal services and legal advice. I offer free in-person consultations so feel free to contact me offline by email or phone. If you like my answer, please hit the thumbs up button.


It is very hard to garnish social security, and much of it is exempt. You might not even need to file bankruptcy. You will need a consult with an attorney before you determine that, though.

Richard Edmund Hawkins

Richard Edmund Hawkins


In fact, all of Social Security is exempt, under both Nevada and Federal law. Under such circumstances, I often send creditors a "No blood from onions" letter, pointing out that there is no chance of non-exempt assets in the future, and that they are wasting their time. It tends to work for the smarter creditors; the dumber ones waste time for a while . . .


There are certain credit repair organizations that will help you save up enough money to offer each creditor a one time lump sum settlement (usually a fraction of the amount owed) to resolve some of your debts. Make sure you go to a credit repair organization that is non-profit. They should not charge you any fees up front (doing so violates a federal statute).

In the alternative, you can try to negotiate directly with your creditors yourself. Sometimes if you call, explain that you cannot afford the payments, and give them an amount you feel you can comfortably pay, they will agree to accept that lower amount.

If debt collectors are calling, you should contact an FDCPA attorney. If s/he can identify an FDCPA violation, s/he might be able to get you up to $1,000 and leverage down some of your debts.

If you have any questions or need further information, you can check out the Federal Trade Commission's website for dealing with debt at or contact me at

Good Luck!


Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer