Skip to main content

In Chapter 7 Bankruptcy filings, on Schedule F do I list both the creditor and the collection agency?

Fresno, CA |

If so do I indicated "duplicate" for the amount?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Listing it as a "duplicate" is fine. The most important thing is making sure all collection agencies, attorneys and the original creditor is listed with addresses. It is wise to pull your credit report to insure the list is complete.

This answer in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. The answer is not a complete answer and requires additional facts in order to provide the best options. The submitter accepts the risk of relying on such an incomplete answer and waives any claims of damages for doing so. As stated in the answer the submitter should contact a qualified bankruptcy attorney is discuss these issues further before any action is taken. Any action taken without advise and counsel of a qualified attorney is inadvisable.


You list both if you want both to stop contacting you or if you want to be able to make sure that these debts get completely removed from your credit report. You can list the second debt as either a duplicate or an additional notice party.

Hope this perspective helps!


Most programs let you put down additional parties to notice. Put down everyone else who is trying to collect on the debt in that spot.

Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Mitchell Goldstein or the Goldstein Law Group does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.


Put down the entity that you must pay in order to satisfy the debt. It's possible the original creditor may still have some right to the debt but they usually sell all ownership and collection rights of a debt to a collection agency for pennies on the dollar; even if you try to pay the original creditor, they will refer you to the collection agency. Just mention on Schedule F who the original creditor was (for example, "debt transferred from XX"); if that is insufficient for whatever reason, you can easily amend the schedule later.

You can include the original creditor on the creditor matrix so they receive notice, at least. If they file a claim, then that is a good indication that you should amend Schedule F.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer