Skip to main content

In case of divorce is my wife entitled to money from my personal injury settlement

Chicago, IL |
Attorney answers 8


You should post this in the family law category rather than personal injury.

Mr. Padove is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Padove strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. (219) 836 2200


It depends. Often, this is something negotiated as part if the divorce. It also may depend upon when the incident occurred and the type of damages gained.

Definitely consult both you injury and divorce lawyer to get a good answer.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


Yes, your wife might be entitled to a portion of your settlement, but that is not written in stone. Many factors go into the determination of if, and if so, how much. If you are in divorce proceedings, you need to discuss this matter with your attorney.


It all depends. Make sure your settlement agreement insulates as.much of the money towards pain and suffering as possible.

Know YOUR Rights. Take Action Now. CALL 855-648-4695. Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. Mr. Crockett is licensed in Texas in Illinois only.


generally yes she is but we cannot tell you how big a piece she gets.

were you injured before the marriage or during? did the marital estate pay any medical or other injury related expenses?

does part of this represent lost wages? if so, it could be utilized for child support or alimony purposes.

there are many factors to consider. we cannot give a definite answer here.


It is considered an asset of the marriage. How much she gets, if any, would depend on many factors.


Typically yes unless there is a formal agreement addressing otherwise. .

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


Perhaps. Best bet is to speak to your divorce lawyer.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer