In case my ex fails to file answer within 30 days, do I need to petition for default judgement or just wait for the judgement?

New York, NY |

I filed in NY and my spouse was personally served with the notice and complaint in Florida. The affidavit of service was also filed in court. Is there a need for me to petition for default or will the case move forward without me filing anything?

Best Answer

If there are no assets, you simply need to file documents to obtain your uncontested judgment on default which occurs after forty days. Motions are not necessary, but proper papers must be filed or you shall not be divorced. You should probably hire an attorney to help you do the paperwork.

You need to make a motion for default judgement with notice to other party. Otherwise your case does not move forward.

The Court will not, sua sponte (on its own initiative), grant a default judgment. You must file a Motion seeking a Default Judgment. This will then have to be served upon the Defendant (your ex) and he will be granted time to oppose it. The Courts are not inclined to allow a divorce go forward on default so they will likely give your ex every opportunity to "appear" in the action.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

I understand he is given 30 days to answer. But I've read about filing for default after 45 days. What is this 45 day period?

Also do I still need to appear in court? Will I need an attorney for that?

Douglas Shaun Kepanis

Douglas Shaun Kepanis

Yes you will need to appear in Court - you must first file an RJI so the Court can assign a judge to the case, then submit the Motion for Default, if the Defendant still fails to appear, you will have to go through an Inquest (basically a one-sided trial)

If I get a lawyer, would I still have to appear or will he do everything including the filing of the motion? Around how long would that take? I filed in New York almost a month ago. Thank you.

Douglas Shaun Kepanis

Douglas Shaun Kepanis

It is always best to have an attorney

Douglas Shaun Kepanis

Douglas Shaun Kepanis

Your lawyer would draft and file the requisite motion - but you would be required to appear at the Court with your attorney for all scheduled appearances.

Dejfault judgments are not given automatically. :You must file AND SERVE a motion for default judgment. You must serve the motion on your husband but the good news is that it can be done by regular mail (although doing so by regular mail and certified mail r.r.r. is preferable so that you can prove that he either received it or refused it. If a defendant refuses to accept certified mail, courts have deemed that the papers were served)). Make sure your affidavit of service clearly sets forth how the motion was "served".

The divorce will not proceed forward automatically. If you want a divorce, you will file be required to file a motion for a default judgment divorce. Once the divorce is granted, you will have to serve your spouse.

If your spouse was served properly, you can just file the balance of your papers in the matrimoinal clerks office, and obtain a judgement of divorce based on the default of your spouse. You do not need to make a motion for default, filing for a default divorce after your spouse has been served, and failed to put in an answer, is relatively easy. This only works if you have no children and are not trying to divide up any marital property