Skip to main content

In california i am the executive of my mothers livings trust. the property address is not in the living trust

Panorama City, CA |

the city is named but the physical address is not in the living trust. can i amend the trust to include the address

the legal description isnt on the living trust either

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

I agree with attorney Greenwood. Are you concerned about the property not being titled in the name of the living trust? Or are you concerned because the address is just not listed in the trust? If the address isn't listed but the property is titled in the trust (i.e., deeded to the trust), it doesn't really matter if the address isn't listed. If your mother has passed away and the property is not deeded to the living trust, it is too late to change that and the estate will most likely have to go through probate in order to get that piece of property into the living trust. I also recommend you consult a probate attorney in your area. Good luck!


The answer to your question depends substantially upon whether your mother is still alive or not. Once that is discerned, then a series of additional questions come into play. Your power to act also depends upon the language of the trust agreement. By "executive" I am making the assumption you mean "trustee". I'd also be concerned about whether the title had actually be changed in relation to the public record. These are questions only a competent estate planning attorney can help you with. I strongly urge you to seek legal counsel to sort this matter out. Hope that helped.


I would assume that your mother has passed and the property is not properly titled in the trust.
If so-you cannot amend the trust or make a new deed-the property would go through probate.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


As executor you have no right to amend the trust, change it, or do anything but administer it. If the property is titled in your mother's name as trustee of the trust, it's in the trust. If it is not you have problems. You need to consult a trust and estate attorney for guidance. If you fail in your obligation as trustee, as you surely will without counsel, you expose yourself to great personal liability. For the right answer to your question and others that you will surely have you need trust counsel. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude


BTW, an "executor" is the person who administers a Will. A trustee is the person who administers a trust. It is possible you are both, or one but not the other. You need an attorney's guidance.


Whether you can amend depends upon the trust document and if the trustor is living as stated by the other attorneys above. You should have an estate planning attorney assist you if you plan on amending the trust.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer