Skip to main content

In California, Can my attorney just drop me?

Oxnard, CA |

My attorney wants me to settle for a ridiculously low amount, like a penny to the dollar. He says that if I don't settle, he is going to withdrawl

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Atty needs you to consent OR has to take a motion, which are liberally granted UNLESS you are dangerously close to trial.


If you don't agree to the attorney withdrawing from the case he/she will will likely file a motion to withdrawal which will be granted by the court unless you can show actual prejudice that will be caused by the withdrawal.


I agree with Mr. Kaufman and Mr. Renberg. The lawyer may quit just as you may fire him, except under certain circumstances. You might want to find out why the attorney thinks your case is no longer worth anything--maybe he's right, and you need to cut bait. At the same time, you should seek a second opinion, or a third, and see if you can find another attorney who thinks he or she can do better than a penny on the dollar. If you let your current attorney know that you will sub him out in favor of another attorney as soon as you can find one, he'll probably give you some time and not try to withdraw first. Good luck.


Although I understand how the other attorneys might have read your question, I read it slightly different. Has a lawsuit been filed? I cannot tell from your wording.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


There are many Oxnard attorneys including my firm that would be happy to give you a second opinion about the value of your case. You will need to know what if any amount of "lien" your attorney has on fees thus far.

This answer is not a substitute for legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship.  Seek the advice of a licensed attorney before taking any action that may affect your rights

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer