Skip to main content

In Arkansas, can I be forced to pay my deceased wife's credit card and medical bills?

Forrest City, AR |

I never signed anything when she applied for the cards, or when admitted to the hospital.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Unless you agreed to be financially responsible, then they cannot force you to pay these debts. They may make a claim against her estate. You can speak with a probate attorney to see if you need to probate her estate in order to take care of matters important to you and/or her heirs. Depending on the size of her estate and the amount of their claims, they are unlikely to force a probate if a family member does not open one.

This response is for information purposes only, it does not create any attorney-client relationship. Responses to questions posted on this Forum are of a general nature only. Because it is not possible to have all of the facts of your issue addressed in this forum, you should consult with an attorney to review the unique circumstances specific to your situation.