Skip to main content

In a Premises Liability Case the defendant sells the apartment building where the accident took place, can anything be done ?

Los Angeles, CA |

A Los Angeles accident was the scene of a slip and fall accident which resulted in total disability.
I think the owner got scared and that is why he sold the building shortly thereafter. Is he allowed to do this ? Can anything be done ? What should be done ? Thanks for any help for my Grandfather.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You should be consulting with/hiring an attorney. He is not precluded from selling the building for legitimate business reasons. Doing so to solely hide or transfer assets to avoid financial responsibility is improper but hard to prove. Most likely the building has a valid policy of insurance that will cover your grandfather's claim regardless of the transfer of ownership post accident.


Yes; the land owner can sell his property at any time. This is not of concern if there was adequate insurance for liability to pay for your injuries and damages. The insurance in place at the time of the incident will cover your grandfather's losses. If the sale was performed by the defendant to defeat his / her creditors, the sale may be able to be set aside. An attorney will know how to address these issues. Best of luck!

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.


If you are injured, seek an experienced personal injury attorney in your area ASAP. The former owner's insurance company at the time of the accident will still likely cover the accident. If not, you can still sue the owner personally even if he no longer owns the building. You can also advise the new owner about the accident and request that he does not change anything around that area. The new owner may also let you take photos.

Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


As long as there was insurance on the date of the accident, the building could be sold and resold a dozen times and the company would need to resolve it. Retain a local lawyer in your state for representation.


As long as the owner had insurance you should be fine. One of your questions asked what you should do, and the answer is to hire local counsel to pursue. I would be very surprised if there was not liability insurance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer