Skip to main content

In a Parenting Plan what is the definition of Scheduled Residential Time when it involves school & extra curricular activities?

Seattle, WA |

In a parenting plan when it comes to Scheduled Residential Time does this mean that this pertains to school or extra curricular activities and that the parent that the child "resides" with on that particular day can bar the other parent from volunteering at school or having lunch with the child on that particular day or has to have that parents permission to attend? This would also pertain to one parent attending their childs baseball game, for example, on the other parents "reidential time"? Could they attend or need the permission of the residing parent to attend all extra curricular activies?

There is no restraining order. And in this particular parenting plan it does not address extra curricular activities and school; It just states under Residential Schedule and then under School Schedule The child shall reside with the father on a certain day after school until a certain day either on the week-end or until the start of parent is claiming that you cannot volunteer see the child at school, even if they(the residential parent) aren't there physically because it is that persons "residential time" or you need their permission to even be there. This is also pertaining to extra curricular activities.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Generally speaking, it does not mean that you need permission to attend activities during the other parent's residential time.

It is possible that the language of your particular parenting plan could say something else. Especially if you and the other parent created the parenting plan by agreement. You should read it carefully and/or speak with an attorney to determine if this is the case.

If there is a protection order/restraining order in place that restricts contact with the children or the other parent, the parent subject to the order should seek legal advice before seeking contact with the children that is not expressly granted in the parenting plan.


You should review the "Alternative Dispute Resolution" provisions of your Plan and consider initiating mediation, arbitration or other ADR designated in the Plan. As I understand it, the other parent believes that you should be excluded from school and other child activities on the "other parent's" time. If your Plan is silent on this issue, and there are no legal restraining orders in place, this strikes me as a "plan implementation" issue best addressed by ADR. In fact if it is an "implementation" issue and there IS an ADR provision (towards the end of your WA Plan) you would be required to attempt to solve the problem by ADR before asking a court for relief.

Janet Watson

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer