In a class-action suit, where there is a settlement, can it be agreed upon that the specifics are kept confidential, e.g.

Elmhurst, NY |

settlement amount, and that there is no admission of wrongdoing on behalf of the defendant? What other agreements are common in settlements? Thank you

Very little can be kept confidential in the settlement of a class action. This is because class actions require court approval to become binding and enforceable. And the extensive documents that are filed with the court in order to obtain court approval are accessible to the public. In general, these documents describe all material terms of the settlement, as well as the attorneys' fees and litigation expenses, which also must be approved by the court.

Legal Information is Not Legal Advice My answer provides information about the law based on the limited information provided in the questions asked and is not intended to provide legal advice or opinions, and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. The answer to the question is for educational and informational purposes only. The law differs in each jurisdiction and may be interpreted or applied differently depending on the jurisdiction or situation. Accordingly, I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the details of your problem so you can get legal advice tailored to your particular circumstances.

Its possible. Various language releasing all liability, liens, medical expenses, claims, and pretty much waiving each and every possible way to coming back after the same defendant are generally contained within the agreements. Each agreement is unique though.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

I agree with Eric and only add that in a settlement posture there will almost always be a denial of all liability by the defendants.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not legal advice but analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in Nevada. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.