Skip to main content

In a car accident case that's settling out of court, will a signed/witnessed release form prevent further legal action?

Knoxville, TN |

My friend was in a car accident & the other party has agreed to settle out of court. My friend wants to prevent further action by the other party after settlement. Is there a release form that will stand in court? If so, can you please suggest one? If this won't do the job, is there anything else she can do?

This is also being settled without insurance claims.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8

Best Answer

A properly drafted and executed release will hold up in court. You have to make sure the release meets the requirements of your state to be an effective release. Research "Release of All Claims" or "Settlement Agreement and Release" for Tennessee and see what you get. There may be a form on the internet or at your local law library or bookstore. While the right claim form will be effective, it is difficult for anyone other than a qualified lawyer in Tennessee to tell you what form to use.

Good luck.


There is standard, but no lawyer can put give you legal counsel. Is there an insurance company involved?

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


If she has insurance, they will take care of it for her. If not, she should meet with an attorney to have one drafted up.


I have one from an insurance company on my desk. Next time I'm in the office, i can redact, scan, and email a PDF of it. Your friend really needs a little lawyering to protect herself. Very very not smart to do it herself.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others. Thank you. This response may provide information relating to potential legal issues. Nevertheless, your review of any information contained herein is not a substitute for legal advice from qualified legal counsel. For this reason, you should not rely on this response as a source of legal advice. Your use of this information does not create any attorney-client agreement. In order to become a client of David C. Lee, you must negotiate a specific attorney–client agreement with an attorney from this law office.


Any personal injury lawyer will be able to draft a good release. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low fee. Good luck.


I think the best thing to do is contact a local auto accidents attorney. Avvo can provide you with a lawyer suited or your needs.

John M O'Brien

John M O'Brien


Excellent answer from Mr. Cleary


Any standard release form will prevent any further action on the claim. Consult with a local attorney to get the form for a release.


You should be fine, but I always recommend that an attorney draft a release in order to ensure you will not suffer any adverse consequences in the future. I would be happy to assist you in this matter to ensure your protection.

Kind Regards,
Michael K. Pence

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer