Skip to main content

In a adult name change does is a petitioner with a conviction in-eligible for name change?

Jacksonville, FL |

in the supreme courts do it your self / pro se motions it ask if ever convicted. So does this mean a respondent not eligible if he or she has one? I dont want to change name to avoid my record I know it would follow. its for personal family and friends reasoning.

+ Read More

Filed under: Representing yourself
Attorney answers 1


This is a very state-specific question, and your state may prohibit felons from changing their names. However, generally, if not barred, the court may hear your request and your reasons. The Court may grant the name change but may require you to notify your state police agency. Again, this is a matter that would require you speaking to a Florida attorney as soon as you can, if you intend to proceed.