Skip to main content

Immigration VAWA - is there any exceptions to requirement that the abused spouse file within 2 years of divorce from the abuser?

El Cajon, CA |

I am from Filippines.I married my husband while he was there with the military. We moved to the united states together in 1990. He became very abusive. One day he held a knife to my throat and threaten to kill me. I ran away. We divorce in 1994. I have been homeless since then. Short time ago, very nice family who are my friends and have lawyer friends told me about VAWA. I kno it has been very long years it has been more than 2 years since i divorce my abusive husband but can i still ask for VAWA?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There are many different exceptions and relaxations to VAWA requirements. This is one is actually more rigid than others. They are all fact specific. Very much so. You should contact an immigration attorney for a more specific consultation. You have SO many good immigration attorneys in CA.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Can't hurt to ask an experienced immigration attorney. Many offer free consultations.

Good Luck!

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555


Try to make the effort to consult with an attorney. Only after an in depth discussion with you can an attorney make an informed determination and advise you accordingly. As my colleague has indicated, these cases are very fact specific, so to obtain an answer in a forum such as this will be difficult.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer