Skip to main content

Immigration through spouse ? please help

Brooklyn, NY |

i am a spouse of an american citizen who applied for spouse visa . I got an interview date on 20 April 2011. At the date I received a green slip that stated that my visa was temporarily refused until 221G until administrative processing is complete. I have waited 14 months during this process i also had a baby whom i haven't been able to see yet. My wife has repeatedly called the embassy and involved her local senator but we keep getting the same reply that the process is in administrative processing. I am quite frustrated with the process and now my wife and baby are coming to Pakistan to stay with me . My question is how much longer should i wait ? What else can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You have probably been 'caught' in a background check ... there is no way to know how long that will take.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Your wife can file a Petition for a Writ of Mandamus in Federal Court to force the Embassy to make a decision in your case.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


There is nothing else than can be done or said, aside from having your wife filing a writ of mandamus in federal court to force the embassy to finally act on your visa application.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer