Skip to main content

Immigration reform

Miami Gardens, FL |

I am living here in the country for abt five years now been living with my sister she is a legal resident but im not...i enter the country legal on my vistors visa but its expired...i came in 2008 of december...i want to know im a qualify for the new immigration law stating abt immigrant been in the country since december 2011 can adjust their status???? Can i get some help please!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


At this point there no "new immigration law yet." Congress is debating the issue and the Senate Bill which you are referring to is much different then the House's bill. It is simply too early to tell what the final version will bring. Stay tuned.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.


There is currently no law. Until reform passes, it will be hard to evaluate any cases. All we can do is guess.


You will need to wait and see if the proposed Bill will actually become the law. Right now it's only a draft. it is likely to undergo certain changes.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:


At this point, the best we can say is "maybe." There might be changes in immigration laws, or there might not be. If there are changes, then they might help you, or they might not. We just need to be patient and wait to see what happens.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


The bill you are referring to is not yet the law and can change dramatically. For this reason it's too early to effectively speculate. You do have reason to hope because December 2011 does appear to be a cut-off date that congress is currently considering. Your 2008 entry gives you good reason to hope. Nevertheless, be careful of anyone claiming to be able to qualify you under the current reform efforts because they can't. Be patient.


As of yet, there is no new law.

See links below:

The bills introduced in Congress are not law yet. Anyone who promises you immigration reform benefits or advises you on whether you qualify is likely to have two goals in mind: 1) get your money and 2) get you deported so they can keep your money. DO NOT fall for promises by notarios or unscrupulous attorneys.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


A bill is not yet a law, so we will have to wait what the final form of the law is.


Follow the link below and decide for yourself.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer