Skip to main content

Immigration question - Citizenship Application

Chicago, IL |

I applied for naturalization last week. After sending in my N-400 form and the divorce decree, i Just realized my ex-husband put a separation date on the divorce application, that is before we applied to remove conditions on the green card(it was a mistake on us) . We were still together that year and have a joint lease and joint filed taxes. Divorce date is not issue since it was a year and a half after i received my permanent card. Would i have any problems on the interview ? Is there any actions i should take ? (My ex husband said he could write a notarized letter that says it was a mistake on his part and the correct date should have been a year later )

I am applying naturalization based on a 5 yr rule.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you are concerned about any discrepancy in the dates given in the petition to remove conditions on residence, your N-400, or the divorce decree itself, you should bring copies of the documents and consult with an attorney, as that is too specific for an online forum.

This is general information only. It is not intended as a substitute for legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.


If the separation date is to draw adjudicator's attention, you may be asked at the interview to be given a chance to explain. You may want to consult with an immigration attorney to prepare yourself for all possible scenarios. My office is in downtown Chicago if you need my assistance.


That is a serious error and it may come up at the interview. If that is the only evidence against you, USCIS may choose to overlook it. But they could refer your case to investigations. Your ex husband's affidavit will do little or nothing to help.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


You provided a clear example why it is crucial to have a professional immigration attorney to handle an important immigration matter that involves considerable immigration benefits. Consider retaining counsel.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602