Skip to main content

Immigration question........Will my husband be deported?

Alexandria, VA |

y husband is in deportation preceedings. before I got married he divorced his previous wife and immigration filed it as a sham marriage. they also denied my petition for him but we appealed it awhile ago. We have two children together and he has been abusive and been using someone else's SSN to work. I want to leave him because in the past he has threatened to kill me multiple times. I just want to know would he get deported because he is abusive and commiting fraud

I am currently separated from him. He was using my SSN to try to get a car loan and I reported it to immigration because I told him not to as he messed up my credit enough already!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Send any evidence you have to the Chief Counsel's office at the court where your spouse is in proceedings. All you have to do is withdraw any visa petition you filed for him and he has no basis to adjust his status.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


It's impossible to say but domestic violence and sham marriages are typically reasons to deport someone. I would recommend divorcing him and obtaining a restraining order against him due to his threats.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues ... plus I would like to add that you need to call the police if he is physically abusive AND you need to find a woman's shelter.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.