Skip to main content

Immigration lawyer, help, immigration status.

Los Angeles, CA |

Im on a student visa here and married to a us citizen but didn't apply for anything yet, i already have criminal record if i get arrested again for anther crime and go to jail and be out of status from my student visa would i be released because i have a us citizen husband or i will be detained be the ICE. what should i do before i go to jail?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to meet with a qualified immigration attorney in person, with the disposition records from your previous arrest and information about the more recent one, as the nature of both offenses will impact whether you are eligible for a green card and whether discretionary relief may be available to you in immigration court, should you be placed in removal proceedings. No one can assess this for you on a general internet forum, and you should not disclose specific criminal background in such a forum.

This is general information only. It is not intended as a substitute for legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice specific to your circumstances, you must consult an attorney in a confidential setting, not in an online forum.


This question needs many more facts for decisive answer. You should consult with an immigration lawyer regarding deportation consequences.


Consult with an immigration attorney as soon as possible and stay out of trouble. Your criminal record will be relevant for the residence application. ICE may or may not detain you.

Please note that this response is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer