Skip to main content

Immigration issue

San Francisco, CA |
Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

You will need to wait three years before applying for your green card. If you have been asked to assist with the prosecution of the individual who harmed you then you need to follow through with that commitment. It is also important that you maintain continuous presence in the United States for the next three years.



You establish your presence in the United States is justified on humanitarian grounds, to ensure family unity or is in the public interest Now what constitutes family unity or public interest? I don't have any kith n kin citizen as family member.I was a victim of assault how would I be able to establish this condition?

Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott


Your attorney will make an argument as to why you meet those requirements. You don't need to meet all of them just one. Since you don't have immediate family members who are citizens you would qualify on humanitarian or public interest grounds. You will need to consult with an attorney who can evaluate your specific situation (your history and other information about you) and determine how you will qualify.


Congratulations! After getting your U visa, you have to wait three years before you can apply for permanent residency. During this time, you have to maintain continuous presence in the United States. You also have to continue helping in the prosecution of the crime you were a victim of, if you are asked to help.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.


I agree with my colleague. Be advised it is important that you will need to show when you apply for the adjustment in three years or so that you continue to be helpful to the certifying agency; maintain a relationship because there is a requirement that you continue to provide assistance for the prosecution or investigation - you cannot refuse such assistance . If you were assisted by a pro bono organization or attorney maintain that relationship so they can assist you in updating your records at the time of applying for adjustment.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication in any way. Consult a competent immigration attorney preferably one who is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).


I agree with my colleagues. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at .

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova


You must reside in the US for three years and continue to be helpful in any investigation when asked.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


To apply for a green card as a U nonimmigrant, you must meet the following conditions:
You have been physically present in the United States for a continuous period of at least 3 years since the first date of admission as a U nonimmigrant and continue to hold that status at the time of application for adjustment of status.
You have not unreasonably refused to provide assistance in the criminal investigation or prosecution
You are not inadmissible under section 212(a)(3)(E) of the Immigration Nationality Act
You establish your presence in the United States is justified on humanitarian grounds, to ensure family unity or is in the public interest

Good Luck,

Anthony Nze-Nwosu

US Immigration Attorney Services

Financial Center Building

405 14th Street, Suite 1610

Oakland, California 94612

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer