Immigration Interview I 130/ Marriage

Seattle, WA |

I had my Immigration interview and they asked for more evidences requesting a letter from my wife who is an American Citizen and from our friends and friends. Do you know how many Letters from friends and family someone is supposed to send to the Immigration Agent to support clear and convincing evidences about the Marriage? I know they are busy to go thru many letters so I was wondering how many is the standard. Thanks!

Best Answer

There's no such thing as 'standard.' You can have one or two really great affidavits or 10 really bad ones. Quantity is not a substitute for quality. But, 3-5 generally do the trick. Depends on other factors too.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at www.tunitskylaw.com. Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at veronica@tunitskylaw.com. Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.

Thanks so much! That is what I thought. Thanks and thanks!!!!

Veronica Tunitsky

Veronica Tunitsky

You're welcome. But do keep in mind that it's the totality of circumstances that dictate. You may want more letters if you don't have enough evidence of commingled assets/debts, etc. I hope you have some legal help especially if this is a removal-related matter.

Well, I do have enough evidence of commingled assets/debts and everything and they already saw all that. They just asked for the letters now. I do not think I need to send all the paperwork, photos,etc since they already saw everything on my stokes interview. I will hope the letters help since it will be pretty much my last chance I guess.

Veronica Tunitsky

Veronica Tunitsky

Then chances are that's all they want. Just make sure the letters say more than, 'I know this couple and they're married.' The government is looking for concrete, first-hand examples and lots of details. Good luck!

The standard is as many as you can get.

If you need to meet the "clear and convincing" standard, it means you are in removal proceedings. So most likely you really, really need to get this I-130 approved. As a result, you should be hitting up every single person who has first-hand knowledge of your marriage. You will never be denied for having too much evidence. Now is the time to call in all your favors from all your friends, relatives and work peers.

Thanks Mr. Bar, Yes I am in a Removal Proceedings and just had my Stokes Interview and it was actually better than I thought. I was thinking about three or four letters but now that you tell me that maybe I should rethink about it and as you said the more the best then. Thanks again!

I agree with my colleagues. It is not quantity that matters, but quality.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Hi Mr. Ferrari, do you have any advice to give? Thanks!

There is no standard. The more the better, but I certainly agree that quality should be the focus rather than quantity. You should also consider other types of evidence to show both a joint residence and a comingling of your lives, financial and otherwise. Joint lease, joint renter's insurance, deed for jointly owned property, joint bank accounts/credit cards/brokerage accounts/tax returns, joint title to vehicle, joint car insurance, joint medical insurance, wills/life insurance naming each other as beneficiaries, joint utility accounts, etc.

Thanks for the answer Mr. Lederman, I do not think I need to show all those document since I have already been to the Stokes Interview and the Immigration Agent already saw all that. They just requested the Letter from my wife ( american citizen ) and friends of ours. I have three months to provide the letters and I guess it is my last chance to get the I 130 approved so that I can try to cancel the Deportation hearing next year in October. I still have one year to appeal in case they deny the I 130 but I am thinking about the possibility to leave the country for the 2 years required and take my wife with me.

If they want more information, I would hire counsel if I were you -- they may have doubts about the validity of your marriage. it is unwise to go to these interviews unprepared and without counsel. each interviewer is different and uses their own independent judgment so they are no standards.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.

I don't believe in quantity but quality. 2 or 3 letters should suffice. It is important that the letters contain specific details and examples of the interaction you have shared as a couple between your family and friends and why they believe your marriage to be a good faith bona fide union. Maybe some background on how you started dating, what sorts of activities do you do together, why they think you are a good couple, your plans for the future, etc.

This is not intended to be legal advice, just a general and broad responsed to a topic.

Thanks for the answer. I was thinking about three good letters from my wife ( an American Citizen, her mom, her sister who is our neighbor and a good friend but some other Attorneys are saying I should have more than that so I am confused now. I will stick with your advice, NOT quantity but QUALITY and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Erika Lynn Roman

Erika Lynn Roman

I wouldn't include one from your wife because the idea is to have other people that are willing to stand up for you and acknowledge that you have a true marriage. Your wife is part of the process so that's biased. Her Mom is good, her sister is also good and a neighbor is great as well, especially if the neighbor can attest to the fact that he observes you living their together.

That makes sense. I can see that in case the letters are not approved, there is a possibility of waiting for 2 years out of the USA and my wife would go with me if necessary but no Attorney could let me know what it means and whether it is a real second option or not. Of course I will send the letter and do all I can but if they denies I think it will be pointless to wait till next October for my court date before the judge with a I-130 denied. If you can answer me what you know about this "2 years bar outside of the USA option" Section 204 (g), please let me know. Thanks!

Erika Lynn Roman

Erika Lynn Roman

This is a fixable situation. However, I would hire an attorney to make sure all t's are crossed and i's are dotted and everything is properly formatted, including with the letters, to get the best chance of success.

Thanks for the advises. I am sure you are very helpful in California as an Attorney and I really wish the best for you.

Erika Lynn Roman

Erika Lynn Roman

Your are welcome. Good luck and always feel free to ask me questions ~