Skip to main content

Immigration about marrying another US citizen..

Detroit, MI |

My friend had a 2 years greencard but shes is on process of divorce with her husband right now after 2 years of their marriage, her greencard will expired it possible that she can marry her new US citizen boyfriend after her divorce is finalized? what will happen to her status?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Based on the information presented, it appears your friend is admitted as a conditional permanent resident. That means she has to file a Petition to Remove the Conditions within the ninety days immediately preceding the expiration date on the card. The petition may be filed jointly with her spouse, or in your friend's case, she may file it on her own as a waiver based on the good-faith basis of the original marriage.

Even if she her status is terminated, she may remarry and refile.