Skip to main content


Santa Barbara, CA |

I am a F1 holder in USA. 2 years ago I applied to immigration to Canada as a killed worker. The Canadian embassy asked me to send my passport and recent FBI check. But two months ago I got convicted to a petite theft in California and this incident is mentioned in my FBI check.
Now, I have a big concern:
If I refused to immigrate to Canada, can I still apply to immigration to US? does my rejection have any bad effect on my immigration application to US? (Will they ask me if I ever rejected to immigrate to any other countries?)
Should I send my documents to Canadian embassy and try my chance, or just ignore my whole application?
I want to immigrate to either Canada or US.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Any criminal conviction has an effect on immigrating to the US. The issue with the US immigration will not be a rejection by Canada so much as the conviction in California. How Canada views the conviction is best asked to an attorney who practices Canadian immigration law.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


Theft is a "crime involving moral turpitude" which could render you inadmissible to the US. I suggest you consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can address all of your issues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


Different countries, different procedures, different laws.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Canadian attorney input would be much better to seek on issues of Canadian law. go on AILA and seek a Canadian attorney

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Canadian laws are pretty strict regarding criminal convictions; but the best source of this info is a Canadian immigration consultant or an attorney. As for the US, a crime of moral turpitude (petite larceny) may have an affect on potential immigration...

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog: