Skip to main content


New York, NY |

I am adjusting soon but I am worried I worked without authorization and recieved a check with taxes deducted , I only completed one w2 for my past 5 employers and never completed a i9 form . the w2 I completed was in march 2012 I worked . there for 5 days . can my employer fill out an i9 for me and sign it without my consent will this haunt me at my interview

They never asked for copies of anything no ids nothing no proof of anything the one employer just has my signature on the 1 w2 I filled out prior to employment

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


This is unlikely, even if conceivable. In those remote situations, an experienced attorney should be able to come up with a strategy to defend you. If you have an further concerns, then I strongly recommend that you retain a competent and experienced immigration attorney. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


I agree with my colleague. You should not have a problem. The one with potentially serious consequences will be the employers. Just be honest about it and you should be fine. Do consult an experienced immigration attorney for guidance.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


If you are adjusting through marriage to a US citizen, then I wouldn't worry about any of this. Just be sure to be truthful, especially during your upcoming AOS interview.

You will not be bothered with any of this. If your employer(s) did what you are imagining they did (I doubt it) then It is your employers that have a problem, if DHS decides to pursue them, which is far from certain.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Are you adjusting based on marriage? You need to speak with an attorney to figu out what's oing on. Also, do not ever misrepresent info. It's not worth it, especially if you are adjusting based on marriage.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog: