Immigration

New York, NY |

My mother became US citizen last month trhought my step father who adopted me 10 years ago. I mostly study in England can I apply for N 600 ? Wouldnt it be a problem that I study in England and most of the time I am there? What documents should I produce for N 600 interview ?

If your step father filed a visa petition for you and you came to the U.S. as a permanent resident, you may be a derivative US citizen. Your mother may also be able to petition you to immigrate. Simply having parents who are U.S. citizens, does not make you a derivative U.S. citizen.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

What is your current status? You can't just automatically apply for Citizenship. I suggest you meet with an immigration attorney, lay out all the facts, produce any relevant immigration documents and get advice as to what your course of action should be. Good Luck.

The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more detailed information or to schedule a consultation please contact our office at (718) 924-2896.

I agree with my colleagues, and we need more information to determine if you would be eligible for derivative citizenship. So it would be best if you could schedule a private consultation with an experienced immigration attorney.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.