Skip to main content

Immigration/ Work Authorization

Seattle, WA |

I have been working as a Free Lance Interpreter for the last 3 years. I was called to be the Translator for an Immigration Interview but decided not to since I did not have a Work Authorization and I was in the process of the Green Card myself. Now I am in the end of the Process, had my second Interview with the Immigration ( the first one was for the I 130 since I was in a Removal Proceedings ) and now I am waiting for the final answer from the Immigration. Now I do have the Work Authorization and I just received an Email from someone asking me if I could be his Interpreter for his Interview. Would it be weird if I work as a Interpreter at the Immigration Office since I am also waiting for my Green Card? Before I refused it because I did not have the Work Authorization but now do.Thanks!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


That could create a conflict of interest since you were in removal proceedings in the same U.S. immigration case with the case pending.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois



What do you mean by in the same US Immigration case? I do not know the person's case type. I do not know if he is in a removal proceedings if that is what you meant. Thanks for the answer.


I don't see a problem with you acting as an interpreter. You are lawfully permitted to work.

Due to the nature of this forum, Attorney Maria J. Marty does not have all the information required to provide legal advice. Accordingly, her responses on Avvo are intended as general and not legal advice.


As long as you have a valid employment authorization document, you should be fine to translate. Take the card and an ID with you to the appointment in the event you are asked to show identification.

You should not consider information contained herein as legal advice. I am unable to provide reliable legal information without a full consultation.


You are legally authorized to work. And the USCIS is a separate agency of the government from the Immigration Court.