Skip to main content

Immigration (Naturalization question).

Chicago, IL |

I heard of qualifying for naturalization after 2 years 9 months of marriage to a US Citizen . I know there are other requirements though.
Is it 2 years 9 month of having a green card? Or 2 years 9 months of marriage to citizen? When does the counting start? Day of marriage or day of getting green card.
Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

I agree with my colleagues. See the link below for more information about the naturalization process.


From the date of green card issuance, and you also have to have at least the same amount of time in marriage as well.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 646-407-2331, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


The controlling date is the date of when you became a permanent resident, just look at your green card. You also must still be in a viable marriage and be able to show proof of cohabitation for the last 3 years with your spouse. Also, you must meet the good moral character requirement, the physical presence test and the residency test. Good luck.


Date of green card!

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer