Skip to main content

IMMIGRATION. How can I get legal status in America without having to marry someone?

New York, NY |

I have been living in new York for 15 years I am from Pakistan. I do not have legal status here. I work as a cab driver. I have a ss number and have had no trouble with the law. Is there anyway I could get my green card without having to marry someone? thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Consult with an immigration attorney to see what your options are. You might not be able to do anything at this moment but will be informed of any possible future options and the process.


Hire an immigration lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


You don't "have to" marry anyone to get legal status. In fact, marrying for immigration purposes raises a huge red flag for the USCIS and can result in your permanent bar from U.S. admission.
If you do not know which option for immigrating to the United States is suitable for you, consult an attorney to discuss you eligibility in more detail. This question is too general for a forum response.


Consult with an attorney to learn what options you may have.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104