Skip to main content

Immigration green card and Common law marriage and

Chicago, IL |

my friend was common law marriage (No marriage license or certificate) in illinois which is not recognizance by the state as a legal marriage, then she go married to someone else legal marriage this time she has marriage certificate.

The question now, she was to file for her husband to get his green card, does she need to disclose her first relation/marriage to USCIS, give that her first relation/marriage never been legal, she never singed any papers, or even lived with the other man and there was no marriage or divorce papers.


+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If Illinois does not recognize common law marriage, there was no marriage.

This posting is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. For more information, please visit


It does not sound like an issue based on your facts.

Niren & Associates
(toll free) 1-866-929-0991
(local) 416-410-7484
Offices in Toronto and Buffalo

Legal disclaimer: For specific advice on your case, Mr. Minawi can be reached at 1-866-929-0991 ext. 206 or by answer does not establish an attorney client relationship.


There is no common law marriage in Illinois. I am also licensed in a state that does recognize common law marriage, and this does not even seem to meet the requirements in that state. There would be nothing to disclose.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.


Immigration is only interested in legal marriages, not other long-term relationships.

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.