Skip to main content

Immigrant want to know what may happen with IRS, please help

West Palm Beach, FL |

Good evening
I have been living in the USA more than 6 year ( overstayed visa)
I was working thru subcontractors in the USA,fr paychecks and they didn't withheld any money for taxes.And I didn't pay taxes or filed, because I was afraid to be caught from Immigration.
Last year receved my EAD as a beneficiary with my wife. And requested my 1099-MICS form. For 2012 from company whom I worked many years. Filledthe tax form and ready to pay to Government what I owe.
Question is: Do person gets trouble for not paying taxes untill they receive their EAD like in my shoes ?
Please advise me
Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Whether you are working legally or illegally in the United States Uncle Sam wants his money. Your immigration status is irrelevant to your tax obligation. Your belief that filing a tax return would result in the IRS notifying the Department of Homeland Security was misplaced. The IRS is not allowed to share that information. Consult with an an accountant who can help you pay your back taxes so as to avoid unnecessary penalties and interest.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.


They may; So, pay taxes and provide evidence that you did and you should be OK

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Yes. Make sure that you pay any back taxes that you owe.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



You must pay taxes whether you are here legally or illegally.

We have 3 offices over the State of California and an international office in the Philippines. We do 100% Immigration Law, have done nearly 5000 cases and can help you. Should you want an in depth consultation, please schedule one at or call 562-495-0554 or e-mail me directly at

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer